Sunday, July 15, 2012

Recipes

     For those of you who know me well enough, it may seem strange to read the title of this blog. You may be thinking: "Recipes? Brittney? Brittney doesn't even know how to boil water." That may have once been true, but this summer my cooking skills have been put the test. I haven't mastered everything, but I've definitely tried a lot. The crazy thing is... I actually like to cook now! I've spent a lot of time in the kitchen watching Ate Susan prepare meals and helping however I can. When I get back home, I plan to start cooking more often. One thing that God has taught me this summer is how to trust in Him and follow His plan. Just like a cook does when he/she prepares a meal, God adds things and changes things as He sees fit. If something needs to be sweeter, the cook may add sugar. If something needs more flavor, the cook may chop up an extra piece of garlic. God does that too. He adds laughter and joy but sometimes He adds the difficulties so we'll learn to trust in Him. God's "recipes" always turn into something wonderful when we follow His instructions and listen to Him. 
     Serving on a nanny team, it's expected that I would become really attached to at least one child, and I have, but this summer I have become really attached to Ate Susan(the orphanage's cook). She has treated me like a daughter and it has really helped with my homesickness. I spend three meals a day, three times a week preparing meals with her and I love it. Many times in the evenings, I sit down with her to drink coffee. It's our bonding time. She can tell when I'm tired and I can go to her at any point of the day and say, "Ate Susan I'm hungry," and she comes up with something to fill me up. We sit in the kitchen or outside by the stove talking and laughing and she has shared many things with me about her life. I'm constantly asking her to show me how to do things in the kitchen and asking her about recipes. She just smiles at me and lets me in on all of her cooking secrets. God definitely breaks down language barriers when we're together and even though we are from two different parts of the world, we can still relate. I always feel so refreshed, encouraged, and loved when I leave the kitchen. She is someone that would do absolutely anything for anyone. She even went to the market early one morning to buy bananas just because we asked for pinaypie(fried banana) for breakfast. She's a joy to be around and definitely a blessing in my life. Ate Susan is someone I will miss a lot when I leave to go home, and I believe that God placed her in my life for a special purpose. 
     The children have already started saying, "you're leaving soon; I sure am going to miss you." Two of the boys told me they already have a plan to hide in my suitcase as long as I give them food to eat for the airplane ride. They requested that I leave apples, pineapples, and pinaypie in the suitcase for their snacks. Boy, I'm going to miss these kiddos!
     The days are going by quickly, but God continues to work. Please be in prayer for our last two weeks in the country. We have two more home visits and 1 more children's outreach left. This Saturday we will be sharing about how to become a Christian with the children. Pray that language barriers would be broken down and that the children will hear from God. We have 2 more weeks with the children and staff at the orphanage so pray that we can continue to build relationships with them. I thank you all for lifting me up in your prayers. I pray that God will use you at home to bring glory to His name. I will see y'all in a few weeks!


Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment