Sunday, July 8, 2012

An Overwhelming Love

Comforts: When we think about comforts, we sometimes think of (insert your definition of comfort here). Maybe it's having an airconditioner, a vehicle, clean clothes, technology, food, hot water; etc, but what happens when we don't have those things to rely on? What if our only source of air is a portable fan and we wear the same outfits every week? What if technology isn't always accessible and sometimes the food makes our stomachs hurt? What if a cold bath is the only way of getting clean? Yes, that is a way of life for many people around the world, but for us that means our normal comforts are being stripped away. I love Psalm 119:76 that says, "May your unfailing love be my comfort." God's love for us is exactly what we need. Let that be our prayer to God that we will find comfort in His love alone. Knowing that nothing can separate us from Christ's love is awesome. In our home visit this week, our Bible study was from Romans 8:31-39. Nothing can separate us from the love of Christ. Hallelujah! Let's rest in His love. This song comes to mind:
"I wanna sit at Your feet; drink from the cup in Your hands; lay back against   You and breathe; feel Your heartbeat. This love is so deep; it's more than I can stand; I melt in Your peace; it's overwhelming."
Thinking about being wrapped in Christ's arms gives me peace and I go and I rest in His love.

Wednesday evening we came back to the orphange after a short break, and we were greeted by 15 excited children. I walked to the dining hall and found one of the boys sketching. I posed and told him to draw a picture of my face. His little hand began moving all over the paper as he looked up every few seconds. Occassionally he would start laughing so I would make a silly face at him. He finished and wanted to show me his work, but first he made a comment that will make my family and friends laugh. He said, "I've never had to draw such big ears before." I just laughed at him for pointing out the obvious and then made a new pose. We took turns drawing each other's faces for about half an hour that night.

One thing that is really different from my trip last year is where we sleep. We live with the three girls so we usually wake up and go to sleep around the same time. The other night, one of the girls told me she keeps having bad dreams, so I shared with her what my brother and I used to do when we were little. I can't remember what we called it, but for this I'll call it "dream poof." We would first draw the people/characters we wanted in our dream. We would "draw" them out in the air above our heads. Then, we chose the places we wanted to include and we would draw them out the same way. We would talk about what we wanted to happen in the dream and anything else that we wanted. Once we were finished, we would reach into the air with both hands, count to 3 and on 3 we would say "poof" and move our hands to our head. It seemed to work for us a lot since we spent so much time thinking about it before we went to sleep. I told her to try it and then I said a prayer for her before I went to bed. The next morning she told me she had a good dream. It was cool for me to share that childhood experience with her.

Friday night we celebrated Christmas in July with the children. We bought cookies and Milo(hot chocolate) and the four of us made our best Santa, Rudolph, Frosty, and Elf costumes. After dinner, we passed out snacks and with my best Elf expression, I read Twas the Night Before Christmas. After that, we watched The Grinch. It was so much fun.

I ask that you will continue to pray for us. Pray for health, safety, homesickness, but most importantly pray for the people we will meet and be with over the next few weeks. Our time is winding down here. It's crazy to think that we've been here over a month. Pray for the children here at the orphanage, pray for the students and teachers at the school. Pray for the families we visit on Fridays and the children we minister to on Saturdays and Sundays. Pray that the gospel will be shared and that God will speak through us. Pray for opportunities to make His name known.
I thank y'all for everything.
Until next week...
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment